Director of Audience Strategy – ProPublica
ProPublica is looking for a Director of Audience Strategy. While ProPublica measures its success in terms of impact, rather than pageviews, we look forward to continuing to expand the reach and resonance of our journalism. In this role, you will contribute to the growth of ProPublica’s audience and ensure maximum visibility for our journalism where it can have an impact. This is a managerial position.
We are a non-profit newsroom focused on producing accountable journalism that drives real-world change; our audience development efforts aim to help our stories reach more people with our work and cultivate more direct and meaningful relationships with them in a variety of ways – as readers, experts, community members, citizens and donors. The Audience Team, led by the person in this role, is a creative and ambitious group of eight journalists who oversee our newsletters and social media presence, identify and support unique editorial partnerships, and collaborate with journalists and editors on how to make our work shine. . These efforts aim to both find large national audiences for our greatest stories and ensure that our ambitious local surveys reach the communities and places most affected by the issues we cover.
What you are going to do here:
- Work closely with editorial and business colleagues to identify key audiences for ProPublica journalism.
- Identify new opportunities to disseminate our work and reach key audiences, working with colleagues across the organization to advocate, test and launch your ideas.
- Manage a growing team that works with colleagues in the newsroom to develop strategies and tactics to reach and retain these audiences.
- Set goals and track the performance of our publishing platforms, including website, mobile apps, social media accounts, newsletters, and third-party platforms, on key metrics of reach, engagement and loyalty.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has a proven track record in identifying strategic opportunities and managing teams to implement the vision accordingly.
- Likes to set and achieve ambitious goals for himself and his teams.
- Has experience in creating audiences for mission-oriented public service.
- Advocate for the needs of diverse audiences in storytelling, design and product development conversations.
- Is a savvy data analyst, able to identify opportunities, gaps and emerging issues to refine and improve goals.
- Is a clear written and verbal communicator, whether it’s crafting a specific and engaging headline or giving a presentation at the headline.
- Knows at least some of the tools we use – including (but not limited to) Chartbeat, Craft CMS, Google Analytics, Google Docs, Outlook, Sailthru, Semrush, and Socialflow – and has ideas about others that we should use.
We know there are some great candidates who may not match what we’ve described above or have important skills that we haven’t thought about. If that’s you, feel free to apply and tell us about yourself.
We’re committed to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here’s a breakdown of our staff.) We are committed to fostering diversity and creating an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking action to meet this commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally under-represented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, you can apply using this form. We are accepting applications as they arise and will start reviewing them on November 1st.
This job is full time and includes benefits. ProPublica’s head office is in New York City, with offices in Chicago, Washington, Atlanta, and Phoenix. The position is ideally based in our New York office, but we are also open to applicants based in one of our other locations. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States. Questions ? Send them to [email protected] No phone calls, please.